On the 4th July 1776, the Declaration of Independence was approved by the continental congress and America had independence from Britain. Since then, it has been celebrated every year in the US with families, fireworks and fabulous food.
Here are some fun facts you probably didn’t know about Independence Day:
- Benjamin Franklin proposed the turkey as the national bird, but was overruled by John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, who both recommended the bald eagle.
- Approximately 150 million hot dogs and 700 million pounds of chicken are consumed on this day.
- One out of eight signers of the Declaration of Independence were educated at Harvard
- Each year Americans light $200 million worth of fireworks on Independence Day
- The liberty bell is never chimed – only lightly tapped. It also had nothing to do with July 4th – it wasn’t called the ‘liberty bell’ until the 1830’s, which is when it got its famous crack.
The Clearview team would like to wish all of our US clients and assignees a very happy Independence Day!